How Do Whole Home Air Purifiers Work?
Although your home’s air may look clean, it is probably dirtier than you think. The EPA says the air inside of your home is 8-10 times worse than the air outside of your home. That’s because your home is sealed to keep conditioned air inside, but it also means your conditioned air builds up pollutants, including:
- Simple particles such as dust, lint, pet dander and hair.
- Biological contaminants such as viruses, bacteria, pollen, mold and dust mites.
- Gases such as chemicals, cleaning solvents, pesticides, beauty products and formaldehydes, all of which are commonly known as volatile organic compounds or VOCs.
These harmful pollutants could hide within your home’s ductwork. Air filtration removes these contaminants from the air you breathe. But not all indoor air quality filtration solutions are created equally:
- Disposable air filters are available at any home improvement store and are a quick and easy air filtration solution. Each disposable filter has a MERV rating from 1 to 16. The higher the number the more efficient at trapping smaller particles like dander, dust and pollen. But many microscopic bacteria and viruses still get through. And because these disposable filters become less efficient over time, they need to be replaced monthly.
- Whole home air purifiers are high-powered air cleaners that HVAC professionals install in your ductwork to remove particles, bacteria and germs as well as chemicals, odors and vapors. They maintain an outstanding efficiency over time and, therefore, only need to be changed annually.
A whole home air purifier can filter up to 99% of all contaminants, making it the most effective and efficient way to clean the air your family breathes and protect them from harmful indoor pollution.
Whole home air purifiers, such as the Lennox Pure Air System, use a process called photo catalytic oxidation to remove harmful toxins and particles from your home’s air. There are two steps to this process:
- A pleated media filter captures large particles such as pet dander, pollen and dust and prevents them from impacting your HVAC system or your breathable air.
- An incorporated UV light, which acts much the sun’s light, kills bacteria, viruses, VOCs and odors before they can each your living space.